Pinellas Native Bobby Finke wins Gold at the Olympics!

While 99% of the time I provide activity ideas, the other 1% is reserved for when (ie) Pinellas locals win Gold in the Olympics!! Congratulations to Bobby Finke, winner of the men’s 800-meter freestyle overnight!!!

My 6yr old and I have had lots of fun researching the Pinellas Olympic athletes! We would love for you to follow along with us on Instagram and Facebook!

Bobby is a Clearwater native, North Shore Aquatics swimmer and former swimmer at Countryside High School! He won dramatic fashion overnight. After 7 minutes, Bobby was in 4th place into the final lap where he found another gear and overtook all three other swimmers! Here’s the YouTube video. You at least have to watch the last two laps to see the distance he closed: https://bit.ly/3rIFl5T

North Shore Aquatic Complex

Bobby has spent much of his time swimming/competing at the North Shore Aquatic Complex in St Pete! When Covid hit and North Shore pool closed, Bobby swam between sandbars in Tampa Bay to continue his training. 🏊‍♂️ Many of your may know his dad, Joe Finke, as he’s a coach for St Pete Aquatics and has been for a number of years!

From a local article from @WFLA earlier this week from when Bobby swam in the Olympic qualifiers, breaking an American record to earn his spot in last night’s finals. The pictures in this post are from the WFLA article. Pictures they took recently at the North Shore pool in St Pete as locals like you showed their support!

“Super proud, I’m going to cry,” Bobby’s dad Joe Finke muttered with tears down his face just moments after his son broke the American record. […] Finke’s parents said the 21-year-old spent most of his swimming career at North Shore Aquatic Complex in St. Petersburg.“

📸 Credit WFLA News Channel 8

I’m a Realtor in the Tampa Bay Area, a Florida native and truly love Saint Petersburg and the surrounding areas! I started LovingStPete on Facebook and Instagram to help my real estate clients and others learn about our area. It’s now followed by over 15 thousand people! If you have any real estate questions, simply contact me. My past includes developing a vacation rental advertising company, which I ran for a decade, and then sold to HomeAway/VRBO.